Sports Reference LLC is searching for a Software Engineer to design, build, and test software for our 8 websites. The Engineering team currently has 11 team members consisting of developers, testers, DevOps, and project managers. Sports Reference currently serves a still growing 20m monthly users through our Reference sites and our SaaS business line at Stathead.com.
Our sites are used worldwide every day by professionals and non-professionals alike. They are: Baseball-Reference.com, Basketball-Reference.com, Pro-Football-Reference.com, Hockey-Reference.com, SR/College Football, SR/College Basketball, FBref.com, and Stathead.com.
Please visit our jobs website at https://sports-reference-llc.breezy.hr/ and submit your resume and a cover letter for this position. We will begin the phone interview process the week of August 22nd. Applications arriving after this date, will be collected, but will receive consideration at the discretion of the hiring manager based on the progress we have made in filling the position. We have provided a general outline of our interview process here: https://www.sports-reference.com/job-interview-process.html
Our Purpose and Values
We will be the trusted source of information and tools that inspire and empower users to enjoy, understand, and share the sports they love.
To meet these expectations, we encourage team members to participate in company discussions and share new ideas, features or potential solutions to problems.
In this role, you will help design, build, and test complex, high-visibility technical projects for Engineering. You will help us migrate our platform to a serverless architecture capable of supporting several websites and potentially a mobile app. You will also help us maintain our existing websites and architecture.
Goals and Tasks for Your First Year (In rough order of importance)
Must-Reach Goals and Tasks
- Assist our skilled support and operations teams in triaging and resolving production issues
- Produce high-quality results by contributing to projects, such as our migration to Serverless, migrating our front end code stack to a more modern framework, improving our data ingestion pipelines, and potentially building a mobile app (or preparing to build one by creating an API-based integration capable of supporting a mobile app). This work will be guided by more senior Software Engineers
- Write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability and performance
Nice-to-Reach Goals and Tasks
- Help review large projects within Engineering by reviewing technical options, working collaboratively within the Engineering team to find the best solution for Sports Reference
- Help review and implement processes around security and compliance
- Complete projects related to company objectives as time and skills allow
- Continue your ongoing professional development, which we will support
Qualifications and Skills
A qualified candidate will satisfy the following:
- Evidence that you are capable of meeting many of the goals listed above
- Ability and desire to work on a collaborative team
- Willingness to work in the platform as-is, while being part of a multi-year team effort to rebuild several key components of the platform
- Understanding of core Computer Science fundamentals
- Self-directed and capable of working effectively in a highly innovative and fast-paced environment
- Understanding of best practices for the full software development life cycle (SDLC), including coding standards, code review, source control, build, test, deploy, and operations
- Able to write code in at least one programming language
- If you don’t think your application will have evidence that you can meet all of the 'nice-to-reach goals and tasks' above but still are interested in the job and otherwise qualify, please apply. Nobody checks every box—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
Salary range starting at $69,000 for U.S. based employees. We are a remote-first company and determine our pay range for this position based on the market rates for Philadelphia, our home base. The salary offered will be based on your experience and skill level.
For candidates outside of the United States, we will calculate a local market rate based on pay for comparable positions in that market and comparable benefits packages when possible.
Annual bonuses are variable and are tied to a percentage of the company's end of year profits and the employee's time worked and salary earned during the year. In the last three years, they have averaged 15% of annual salary.
Even though we are a small company, Sports Reference has a generous benefits package.
- The total value of our benefits package is up to $30,000.
- We cover full health and dental insurance costs for full-time employees and their dependent children. We cover 70%-80% of plans for an entire family.
- We have a 401k with a match on your contributions up to 4% of your base salary. The 401k has many low cost investing options.
- We pay all premiums for company-sponsored life and long-term disability insurance for all employees.
- We provide up to $7,000/year in continuing education benefits.
- Even if you live in or near Philly, you have the option to work remotely as much as you choose. We generally work a standard workday, but with flexibility to flex hours within that framework.
- Any parent welcoming a new child to their family is entitled to 13 weeks of fully paid leave, and up to an additional 26 weeks at half-time.
- Employees begin with 18 days vacation per year and an additional 8 paid company holidays and accrue sick leave at the rate of one day per month.
- We will generally buy you whatever equipment will make you the most productive.
- We typically will pay for reasonable moving-related expenses related to your acceptance of a position with Sports Reference. Please ask if you have any questions related to this benefit.
- We provide a $50/month remote work stipend to cover the cost of internet access and incidental expenses.
- For employees outside of the United States, we will work to provide equivalent benefits or additional compensation.
- Sports Reference's first site was launched in 2000. We have bootstrapped ourselves to 27 full-time employees and have no venture capital backing.
- We are willing to provide accommodations for candidates for whom the timing or structure of our interview process may be challenging. This may include early morning or evening interview times or provide payment to cover child care expenses if needed. If you are applying for a role where verbal communication is not a significant requirement, we may consider an alternative form of interview as is reasonably possible and suitable. Similarly if an extended period of internet connectivity is a challenge, we may consider an alternate form of interview. If we invite you to interview, please let us know of any possibly necessary accommodations.
- Our typical interview process is described at https://www.sports-reference.com/job-interview-process.html
- Sports Reference is a remote-first company. Sports Reference is located in Philadelphia and non-Philadelphia candidates will be considered on an equal footing to those who are local. Presently, all Sports Reference employees are working remotely at least some of the time. We have re-opened our office, but well over half of our team is full-time remote and those in Philly are in the office on days of their choosing.
- This is a full-time position.
- Employment at Sports Reference LLC is at-will and this position is an at-will appointment.
- Applicants are preferred to have a legal right to work in the United States. Please let us know in your application if you do not have the right to work in the United States. We'd have to look carefully at those cases as we have never hired a non-US-based employee.
- We are a corporate sponsor of Women in Sports and Tech.
- 100% of our merchandise sales support youth sports.
Sports Reference is a growing company, and your work will be highly visible and have a definite and immediate impact (Read about us in the New York Times and The Athletic ($)). We reach over 20 million users each month and served over 1.4 billion pages in 2021.
Sports Reference provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, civil union status, color, discrimination, domestic partnership status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, gender transition, genetic information, immigration status, marital status, marriage to a co-worker, mental or physical disability or illness, military service, military and veteran status, national origin (including physical, cultural, or linguistic characteristics), nationality, parental leave, pregnancy (including childbirth, breastfeeding or medical or common conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), race (including traits that are historically associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles, including braids, locks and twists), religion, retaliation, sexual harassment, sexual or affectional orientation (actual or perceived, whether or not traditionally associated with the person’s designated sex at birth), status with regard to public assistance, transgender identity, unfavorable discharge of military status (less than “honorable” but not “dishonorable”), or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances, or on the basis of sports franchise preferences.